Last Updated on
Stunning views, serenity, and a 20-minute blissful descent…paragliding in Alanya is indeed an experience of a lifetime.
Alanya, a seaside town on the southern coast of Turkey, is a holiday destination that makes it possible to combine both beach time with a wide range of trips and activities. If you want to experience a real thrill, paragliding in Alanya is definitely worth considering. You will be rewarded with magnificent views of the whole city, adjacent beaches, and the sea.
I spent 10 days in this Turkish region with my boyfriend, and we felt that tandem paragliding on Cleopatra beach was definitely one the best things to do in Alanya. I have put together this article with everything you need to know to have an enjoyable experience like we did. Even if you have never have gone paragliding before, it’s never too late to start!
Why you should try paragliding
Have you ever dreamed of flying? Paragliding can fulfill that dream, and is a great choice for anyone interested in trying an adventure sport that is both safe & fun. Here are three reasons to try paragliding.
- It’s probably the best form of personal aviation.It combines the adrenaline rush that comes with all extreme sports, unparalleled safety similar to everyday normal activities, and pushing your physical and mental faculties to the limit.
- Paragliding is environmentally friendly. You don’t use fuel and aren’t changing the landscape in any way, which means that you’re seeing what it’s like to be a bird – without having to use an engine or anything that might disrupt the environment with noise or pollution.
- It’s one of the safest adrenaline sports. This is especially valid for tandem paragliding, in which you are seated with a professional pilot who controls the flight so you can rejoice the time up in the air. Once you are up in the air, you have no worries about what’s going on around you. You can just stay in that moment and savor the beautiful views around you.
Our paragliding experience
We booked our paragliding trip directly on Cleopatra beach, at the stand of Ulusky Tandem Paragliding. After paying, we got a small debriefing before being driven up into the mountains.
After about 30 minutes of driving (it’s a bumpy ride!), we arrived at the starting spot on a hillside 800 meters above sea level. Each paraglider got his or her “own” pilot; they were cheerful, nice guys showing lots of confidence. Each pilot took care of the parachute and all equipment. They also explained to us what we needed to do in order to take off (basically, we were asked to keep running, until both of us got into the air). The whole procedure went very smoothly, and I even managed to capture pictures of Mathias during the takeoff, as he started before I did.
The mountains above Cleopatra beach are luckily high enough so the flight is rather long compared to what I experienced in other places (I had done two paragliding experiences before, both in Taiwan). You get to fly for a minimum of 15 minutes, but ours was a little longer than 20 minutes.
From above, surrounded by beautiful coastal scenery, I savored every moment of the gentle flight, basking in the silence, which is so dear to me. It was a perfect experience, and I wished it could last forever. But all good things come to an end, and after a long while, we began the slow descent, landing on the soft sand of Cleopatra beach.
Tips for organizing paragliding in Alanya
- There are a few different operators offering paragliding in Alanya. We had a great experience with Ulusky tandem paragliding. Their pilots were experienced yet very friendly, and we are happy to recommending them.
- You’re not allowed to take your own camera or video equipment up in the air to film the flight. However, the pilots have their own equipment and take videos and pictures during the flight. Thanks to their long selfie sticks, they captured some really nice footage. Needless, to stay, you need to pay extra for this footage, and it isn’t cheap (for 260 TL/ 40 USD, you get a 3-minute video and lots of pictures).
- It’s possible to book paragliding from most hotels or tour agencies in the area, but they all bring you to Cleopatra beach anyway. It’s cheaper to approach the Ulusky team directly.
Booking your tour online
It’s indeed possible to book a paragliding activity online. If you book this highly recommended one, you will get picked up from your hotel as a part of the tour, so there is no need too organize a taxi or search for the right spot on the Cleopatra beach.
Needless to say, there are many different reasons to consider paragliding. However, but you must also be informed that, like with any extreme sport, you need to have the right equipment and go with a trained guide. Although no special skills are required, make sure you are healthy and prepared to follow your pilot’s instructions.
.I hope this article will help you to get all the info you need about paragliding in Alanya. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
I hope you enjoyed my article. Feel free to follow my Facebook page, too.
Reiew of Pragaliding in Analya
- Difficulty - 90% 90%
- Scenery - 100% 100%
- Fun factor - 95% 95%
Paragliding in Alanya in Turkey is a unique experience. I loved it because it allowed me to enjoy the gorgeous scenery from a bird’s-eye view, and I found 20 minutes to be the perfect length. There are no special preparations you need to make beforehand. When tandem paragliding, you are seated with a professional pilot who controls the flight, so you can fully enjoy your time up in the air. We had a truly positive experience with Ulusky Tandem Paragliding, and would definitely recommend to anyone who is considering this experience.